Many of you know already that I’m a resident of Newtown, CT, the site of the Sandy Hook school shootings.
One year ago today, along with the rest of the world, I was shocked and saddened to hear about this terrible tragedy.
My brother also lives in Newtown, my parents in the town next door, we grew up around here, so this is home. And while I know everyone in the world was shocked by what happened, it’s just a little different when it’s “home”.
So I knew I had to do everything I could to play my part in helping this town, this community, and the world heal from such suffering and heartache.
Days after the shooting, Dr. Lori Leyden, a dear friend who had been working with genocide survivors in Rwanda to help them heal, and whom The Tapping Solution has been supporting in that work, landed here in Newtown.
Together, with the support of my family and eventually many volunteers, we launched The Tapping Solution Foundation, a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization whose mission is to spread the word about Tapping to those who need it most.
While today is a day of mourning for many, and a sad time here in Newtown, I’m here to report to you on the magic, miracles, and light that I’ve witnessed over the past year. I’m here to thank you for your incredible support during that time, and to share that from the midst of terrible darkness, light can beam forth, and to share with you the bright future I see ahead.
Here’s a tiny taste of what I’ve seen happen in the past year, as we’ve tapped in Newtown…
– I’ve seen a mother, who lost her youngest child, find meaning and purpose in ways that are beyond belief. Scarlett Lewis, mother of Jesse Lewis (a true HERO), inspires me every day with the level of courage, hope and forgiveness she embodies.
We’ve tapped together on many occasions, and she credits that work as part of what has helped her through this past year. You can read more about her journey in her new book: Nurturing Healing Love: www.nurturinghealinglove.com
(And while I know many of you may say, “I just can’t read that, it’s too sad” – I promise you, it’s a remarkable story with events that will warm your heart and inspire you)
– I’ve seen parents who had children in the schools, who were in fear and pain, take their first deep breath in months, and feel safe in their bodies again.
– I’ve seen children from the school who couldn’t sleep, who were scared to go back, find peace.
– I’ve seen first responders, deeply traumatized by what they had witnessed, let go of the haunting memories and feel pride for what they accomplished.
– I’ve seen local counselors, who have been carrying the weight and burdens of the community for months, laugh and share and feel strong and confident again. Just this past Sunday, during a training Dr. Leyden and I gave for thirty local counselors, we saw miraculous breakthroughs, including someone whose month-long intense sacral pain went away completely, in just minutes.
– I’ve seen our local group of volunteers dedicating themselves week after week, training, supporting and working with the community in every way they can.
– I’ve seen Dr. Leyden, fresh from years of working in Rwanda, working harder than ever before, nights and weekends, quietly and peacefully supporting those who need it most.
I’ve seen her take the Tapping technique to schools, make a presentation to 100 Connecticut counselors, get training programs set up at local universities, train hundreds of local individuals, tap with people in prison, and much, much more – all from her new adopted home in Newtown, CT, while her house in California misses her!
– I’ve seen a teenage boy, JT Lewis, Jesse’s brother, connect with the Rwandan genocide survivors and find meaning and hope. Dr. Leyden set up a Skype call with the ambassadors in Rwanda, so they could share with JT what they had been through and let him know that healing was possible.
They tapped with him on the call, shared their stories, and he was transformed. Newly emboldened, JT set off on a mission to raise money to send the Rwandan ambassadors to college, and just a few months later, raised enough to send Bette to college for a year (and has since raised enough to send her for three more years!) You’ll be hearing a lot more about this amazing story in an upcoming documentary which should be ready in the spring.
– I’ve seen YOU – brave, loving, powerful, giving you – donating funds both through our original fundraising efforts and through The Tapping World Summit, to make all of this and more possible.
And much more…I’ve seen miracles unfold and I know more are just around the corner.
So that begs the question: What’s next? The answer: A lot more!
While everything that has happened this past year has been amazing, there is still a tremendous need within this community and we are ramping up our efforts even further. In the coming year, we will continue the focus on training local counselors, providing direct tapping sessions to as many people as possible, empowering people to heal, and much more.
Here’s a small dose of what’s planned for 2014:
– Providing EFT certification training to mental health and healing arts professionals serving those traumatized by the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy
– Providing EFT sessions to Newtowners who continue to be affected by the tragedy, including first responders, families who lost loved ones, student and staff survivors and their families, and many others.
– Program partnership with Resiliency Center of Newtown providing training, support and private sessions
– Educator trauma relief and classroom training for teachers
– On-going mentoring and clinical support for certified EFT practitioners and educators
National School/Educator Programs
– Supporting and expanding current programs in CT, CA, NY and HI including educator stipends, mentoring, and documentation.
At-A-Distance Disaster Relief and Rapid Response Team Support
– This year we provided mentoring and training via Skype and teleconference for EFT practitioners responding on the ground to tragedies in Boston, Oklahoma, The Philippines and others. We plan on expanding our readiness and effectiveness by developing formally documented training including audio/video/written support materials.
On-The-Ground Humanitarian Trauma Relief
– Respond to an extraordinary opportunity and invitation to work with child soldiers in Uganda partnering with Jane Ekayu from the Children of Peace organization.
– Project LIGHT: Hawaii for at-risk youth. One month training and implementation for community stakeholders and 12 at-risk youngsters, including video documentation
– On-going program support for Project LIGHT: Rwanda
– International Youth Healing Conference partnering with Children of Peace and the Amala Foundation bringing traumatized youth from around the world to Kenya in December 2014, including our Project LIGHT Ambassadors.
– Outreach to colleges and universities to include EFT certification training
– EFT Research with students, prisoners, veterans and pain relief clients
– Jesse Lewis Choose Love Foundation partnership. Summer tour to promote Choose Love Movement and EFT
Can I ask for something? (pretty please?)
I value our relationship and your trust in what we’re doing so much, that I don’t like to “ask” anything of you too often. But I’ve tapped away my reluctance to asking because I need your help!
All of what we’re doing, and the big plans listed above, require money to make them happen. It’s just the reality! I personally don’t take a penny from the Foundation, and never will, nor does anyone in The Tapping Solution, but not everyone is in a position to donate their time that way, and we need more help.
Our volunteers have been stretched to the max, and it’s time we take things to the next level. So this holiday season, if you are moved about what we are doing, if you believe in this work and its ability to transform our world, then please consider contributing to it.
The Tapping Solution Foundation is a 501(c)(3) recognized charitable organization, so your donation is tax deductible and goes directly to this work.
Any size donation, even $1, really makes a difference. And if things have been good this year, and you want to donate a little (or a lot) more, great! And if you, or someone you know is a big-time donor who wants to really get involved in underwriting a large portion of what we’re doing, please let me know and we can jump on the phone so I can share more details about our plans.
To donate today, please click here:
Whether you choose to donate today or not, I want to thank you for your commitment to this powerful work.
The beauty of tapping, of doing this work together, is that as we all heal individually, as we break past abundance blocks, relationship challenges, pain and disease in our bodies… as we clear out the limiting beliefs, the patterns of sabotage and all of that old stuff that has been holding us back, we heal the world.
So thank you. For your courage. For your vision. For your inspiration. For your dedication to live your best life and create a world of peace and harmony.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season.
Until next time…
P.S. End of the year is a GREAT time for a tax-deductible donation! wink, wink.